From:
Tracey Leer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 15:38:13 -0500

> Dean,
> Something that has not been mentioned yet. If you are building comb for
> honey production you DO NOT want to feed the bees syrup of any kind. If
> you do, you will in all probability be adulterating your honey with
> artificial sweetners (sugar). The suggestions I've heard is to stop
> feeding about a week before putting on supers for honey collection. The
> rest of you out there correct me if I'm mistaken. But, don't feed with
> honey supers on.
>
> Mike in LA

Feeding syrup to bees up until the start of a flow then supering them for
the surplus honey can still cause adulteration(syrup,sugar) of the honey put
in those supers. As the colony tries to expand it's brood nest because of
the extra room they are given they will remove your syrup from the brood
nest area and relocate it above in your honey supers.

That is my observations of colonies that are reduced in size while there is
a flow still going so they can be transported cross country for the next
flow somewhere else. They pack honey in the smaller sized area we give them
and when they arrive in the next location(from FL to WI) they move that
honey into the new supers placed on them to make more laying room for the
queen.

06:26:00