From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:58:21 -0600
I recall some discussion about bee escapes a while back and have recently
visited Dave's excellent Bee Escape page at
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/clearerboards.html

I've concluded that the most practical escape boards for my purposes are
the Quebec board, or a variation of that design.  However, I seem to recall
discussion of the need -- to get the best performance -- of making a rim on
either the top or the bottom of the board that is larger than the 3/8" rims
that are typically sold.

Dave says on his site: "A tip I received from Matthew Allan... Is to make
the top rim 22 mm x 22 mm as this allows the bees to 'run around' without
bumping into bits of brace comb and climbing upwards instead of heading in
the stampede direction", but I seem to recall Aaron saying that a space
under the board is useful.  I can't find that latter conversation.

It has been some time since we covered this and a season has passed.  I'm
sure that many have been experimenting.  What are current thoughts on where
to put the space and how high it should be?

Anyone?

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/