From:
Dick Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2007 16:28:06 -0400
In another thread Peter Borst questioned the accuracy of some reporters. I imagine some do use a
bit of poetic license in their reporting.

Two years of years ago I shared a couple of hives with a friend who works at the public radio
network here. We split the cost of the bees, and she provided the equipment. We kept them in her
backyard and I looked after them for the most part.

One afternoon while I was doing a hive inspection,  she came home from work and asked if I’d
mind being interviewed for a local radio piece while inspecting the hive. I agreed to it, so she took
out her recorder and began asking me some questions.

When the piece aired, my bee partner/reporter friend began by describing the attire I was wearing
as I inspected the hive.  She said I was wearing a set of white beekeeping coveralls, beekeeping
gloves, a beekeeping veil and rubber beekeeping boots.  I suppose that’s what the public generally
thinks beekeepers look like. The point is I wasn’t wearing any of that stuff. It was a nice day and
the bees were well behaved, so I was wearing a pair of jeans and short sleeved tee shirt. I also was
not wearing a veil.

Regards,
Dick Allen