From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:49:22 +1000
I changed the subject as it is a different subject to "Poor mating of
queens".

Allen Dick wrote

> This is getting off the topic at hand, but worth some discussion.  It's
> interesting.  Are brood diseases becoming a problem in Australia?  I know
> that we have massive problems with chalkbrood in imported Australian
stock.
> We all wonder if any hygienic selection is used in Aus. and how AFB
> resistant the stock is if not ever challenged by AFB.

Brood diseases are not a problem for beekeepers, only bee havers.  Yes we
get brood diseases but a good beekeeper will keep on top of them.  They are
a pain but one of the many challenges you are confronted with when you keep
bees.

Chalkbrood.  I know the problems with CB that have been written about.  For
me, I see it occasionally and an odd hive is affected more than others but
it is not problem for me.  I just requeen those hives that I perceive have a
problem.  It then is not a problem.  My breeders do not exhibit CB.

During our droughts, I hardly saw any CB so I put that down to dry climatic
conditions.  The only time I see it is in wet weather when the humidity and
temperatures are high and particularly if hives are in the shade.  However,
these are my observations and are not scientifically based.

I have had reports from a person I supplied queens to in Canada, and whose
judgment I respect, that he had  a problem with CB.  Maybe climatic, maybe a
different strain of CB, certainly the genes of the queen but it was there.
You say there have been "massive problems" with CB, so how did the colonies
ever produce brood and honey?

Yes there was hygienic selection done in Australia but on a small scale.
We had stock from Marla Spivak's lines so we had the hygienic genes.  At
that time, we were keen to breed hygienic stock but we were told that it was
recessive genes and our feral colonies certainly would have diluted the
hygienic genes.

Now we are told that the hygienic traits are not recessive so we will most
likely get enthused again.  Also, we have had eminent people such as Sue
Cobey here in Australia in recent times lecturing on II and hygienic
selection so it stands a chance of being expanded.

We don't deliberately challenge our stock with AFB. As we do not treat with
antibiotics for AFB, it shows up from time to time.  Many use a barrier
system to get rid of the AFB from their apiaries.  The only hassle is that
if the bee haver down the road does not look after his/her hives then we
have a pool of AFB ready to re-infect.

I read that AFB is not a problem for Canadian beekeepers so why would you
want us to challenge the bees for AFB?

EFB is not a problem for me but it is in southern States.    Why?  Climate
would seem to be the most likely difference as why would the same stock be
susceptible in one area and not another?  However, we cannot discount
foraging conditions and this EFB question is being worked on at the present
time in Australia.

Also, for some unknown reason, hygienic bees will get EFB.  It does not seem
to follow that if they are hygienic that they will be hygienic to EFB.

Hope the above answers your question.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA