From:
Richard Chapin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:51:10 -0500
Thanks to Ohio Bee Farmer for the obvious solution to the problem of
bees and wasps entering the old bottom board from the back.  I have two
out of six with that problem and will close the back entrance, probably
with 1/4 inch hardware cloth -- same as at front entrance.   As for
tipping the hive to the back to drain any water entering the reversed
old bottom board, I have solved that with an extension on the back of my
homemade screened boards, keeping snow and rain out.  The design is
described, with measurements, on page 30 of the Aug. Bee Culture.  Also,
if hives are tipped backwards, water would enter from the screened board
entrance, causing more dampness on the lower bottom board.  I also use
removable screens to prevent the build-up of dead bees during the
winter, which is unhealthy and would hinder the monitoring of mites.
Finally, I still think that ventilation, bottom and top, is a major
factor in the survival of a healthy colony.  That and a dose of Fumidil
is very effective.
Dick Chapin
Montrose, PA
School Visitor