From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:27:08 -0500
I was accused of making a broad generalization when I said I don't think
migratory beekeeping is the source of our current problems. My statement was
really a response to unsubstantiated generalizations I have heard condemning
modern beekeeping and modern agriculture in general. The burden of proof
rests on those people, not me. I am saying that if you think moving hives
around causes more problems than it cures, prove it. Most large scale
operators move south to build up. This move is to avoid the high cost of
package bees and/or to get better bees in the spring. The purpose,
therefore, is to get better bees.

The movement of bees is not new, it has been going on for centuries. In
1922, the US banned the importation of bees to prevent tracheal mite from
getting here. It got here anyway. The ban was kept in place to keep put
varroa and African bees, which it did not do. The ban was loosened to allow
Australians access to our markets and they get blamed for Israeli virus,
which it turns out we already had, along with Nosema ceranae, which also got
in despite the ban. Bottom line, restricting movement of bees did not
prevent these things and so there is certainly no justification for
restricting bee movement at this time.

Pollinators are doing a major service to this country by getting honey bees
where they are needed. They get a good living from it, and they should. If
you study modern agriculture, increased productivity raised the average
yield of US farms by 250% from 1948 to 1994. Beekeepers helped bring this
about and they have every right to expect to have similar increases in
productivity as they modernize their operations. If people want to raise all
their own food or eat only local food in season, that's their prerogative,
but most people want fresh food daily and this means the movement of frutis
and vegetables all over the world, constantly.

I understand the reaction against globalization and the whole modern system
of expensive transport of bees, livestock, people, you name it. Luddites are
not compelled to participate in the modern world. But if you think the whole
world should stop doing what they are doing, there have to be some facts.
Either show me some facts that conclusively prove migratory beekeeping does
more harm than good, or else get off my case.

See: "Agricultural Productivity in the United States." By Mary Ahearn, Jet
Yee, Eldon Ball, and Rich Nehring, with contributions from Agapi Somwaru and
Rachel Evans

Resource Economics Division, Economic Research Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 74