From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:56:06 +0100
Bob wrote:

> Prolific is a must for those which keep bees for a living ...

I cannot understand why!  I am currently raising queens from a DNA tested
pure A.m.m. queen (belonging to a friend).  After the most appalling
spring - wet and cold all through May (when we usually take the best part of
our crop) the colony has the best part of 4 supers of honey, i.e. about
90lbs.  The queen is three years old and the brood occupies just 7 British
National frames.  Because the individual bees live longer there are plenty
of bees.  The colony is very reasonably tempered and I had no difficulty in
handling it in cool conditions with light rain.  I would be very happy if
all my colonies were headed by a queen like that!

I could also add that there are also commercial beekeepers in the UK making
a good living from A.m.m. colonies.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/