From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 05:52:03 -0800
Thank you Dennis.

  A good, detailed and thought provoking reply to my questions. Thanks.
  I have that article and will read it, right now.

  As per a change of "focus as a bee inspector" that has already changed. Not only as a "Public safety " replacing "bee health", but safety of inspectors health itself. And not just as pertains to possible, or inevitable, encounters with AHb, but as it pertains to what chemicals beekeepers use in their attempts to control pests of honeybees.

  This past season one of my inspectors feels that he was exposed to chemicals of some sort, while inspecting an apiary. He burned his eyebrow when he wiped sweat off of his face, after or during an apiary inspection. He saw a doctor, who was unable to determine a cause for his symptoms. This inspectors ability to concentrate on his paper work and his ability to carry on a meaningful, in depth conversation, while not totally impared, were impared. This kind of occurence bothers me greatly. Is this what we have to look forward to, more and more, in the future? Of course we will have to take steps to protect ourselves, as well as the public. But that protection needs to be available to us. And the first line of defense is knowledge. That is what we are lacking most of all, at this point. In my opinion.

  Mark Berninghausen

"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

  "Also, it could be that, your focus as a bee inspector might change
dramatically. Pubic safety might replace bee health.

Just some thoughts.

Regards
Dennis"

Yahoo! Photos