From:
Joel Klose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:06:38 -0500
Greetings Jerry and others:

Thanks to those working so hard to investigate this problem.  My
perspective on this relates both as a beekeeper and someone who has lived
and observed in very close proximity to nature for nearly 5 decades.  I
don't think the phenomenom of gross population collapse within an
overpopulated species is unusual in nature and in fact is the norm.  It is
important just the same to try and find the factors that triggered it at
this scale.

In beekeeping we see peak years for mites, disease and other problems which
in the natural world act as natures manner of population control. We
interfere with this by the use of man made controls maintaining the un-
natural overpopulation needed to maintain the many facets of monoculture
that is modern farming. As we move our bees in and out of wide ranges of
territories we speed up the exchange of natural population controls that
may exist in one area of flora and fauna and move them quickly to other
areas. We maximize the host potential for disease and pest problem merely
by our basic management and movement practices. All these cycles are at
some point going to reach an apex for which we can't provide effective
controls due to organisms attaining resistance and population controls
again taking over. This may have been aggravated by a poor season weather
and forage wise causing a collapse like we have seen starting late last
year. At any rate, nature, except in sudden weather, earth event,or man
made disaster, is a slow process by rule and the symptoms of what we are
seeing we have been watching for years working towards a climax, which
incidentally the worst of which may be yet to come!

It is re-assuring to see the attention many qualified people are giving
this matter and offer a strong thanks for speed and depth at which this
information has been forthcoming.

Best Regards,
Joel