Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:44:50 GMT
>>Again, from our own work, given a choice, bees like sucrose better than high
fructose sugar.   Whereas some might argue that sucrose is a  better diet
nutritionally, its not obvious whether the bees prefer sucrose  because its
better nutritionally or just tastes better.

Bees may be *smarter* than we've thought.

"The researchers, led by Dr. John Purnell, found that "cortical control areas"--broad swaths of gray matter that surrounded the hypothalamus -- responded quite differently to the infusion of fructose than they did to glucose. Across the limited regions of the brain they scanned, Purnell and his colleagues saw that glucose significantly raised the level of neural activity for about 20 minutes following the infusion. Fructose had the opposite effect, causing activity in the same areas to drop and stay low for 20 minutes after the infusion. Saline--the control condition in this trial--had no effect either way."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/la-heb-fructose-021011,0,4723004.story

Waldemar