From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:46:25 -0500
Hi all

I tried to broach the subject of the philosophy of science, and was ridiculed by some who probably misunderstood what was meant.

"The philosophy of science is a field that deals with what science is, how it works, and the logic through which we build scientific knowledge."

It is no accident that most of the notable scientists have degrees which contain the word Philosophy (PhD).

"In the context of academic degrees, the term philosophy does not refer solely to the field of philosophy, but is used in a broader sense."

I have no such degree, nor does having it necessarily imply a philosophical inclination on the part of those who do. However, as I tried to point out, science without philosophy is aimless at best, and pernicious at worst.

"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down
That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun

all my best for the new year

PLB