From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:51:54 -0800
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I and my fellow beekeepers in the Western
Pennsylvania area are concerned
> about buying Queens for next April splits. One
beekeeper opened one of his
> hives a few days ago to treat it for AFB and the
bees jumped out of the
> hole in the inner cover and from some openings
between the brood chambers
> and were attacking him.

To me this is also a real concern.  I am located in
lower Alabama and currently we are not having to worry
about this too much.  But, it is coming and will be
here probably within ten or so years.  The only fix
that I can see at this time is to go entirely to
artificial insemination or moving the queen mating
yards to the northern part of the U.S. , doing your
mating during the summer up there and doing most of
your requeening in the late summer to late fall.  I
would be interested in learning the why's and
wherefore's of artificial insemination if anyone knows
where one can garner that info.

Mike  Located in lower Alabama

http://mail.yahoo.com