From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:45:17 -0400
Steve had a nice, reasoned post on natural vs organic.

The problem is not with the terms but those who profess to follow them.
There is nothing new here, since when faith is involved, we all have our
own benchmarks as to what is the true faith.

Technically, organic and natural are defined by what you can legally put
on a label. The problems arise in the fact that the terms are not as
stringent or loose as some would want.

For example. Much has been made by some on this list that things like
pesticides, antibiotics and chemicals cannot be used in organic
practices. That is not true. hey are allowed in many specific areas of
the organic world. Some, usually those who do not have to make a living,
decry their use, but the practical know that those things are needed,
such as in animal husbandry or farming. So they are approved. There is
an industry in the production of organic "pest controls" which in any
other world would be called pesticides. Just they come from "nature"
whose first name is Ortho and runs a plant in Ohio.

The problem with the honey standard is it was developed here in Maine by
people who really did not understand bees, but kept them. They are
probably the most stringent standard for any organic crop. Maine Organic
Gardner's and Farmer's Association (MOGFA) approved the standards and
they migrated to the national level. MOGFA is probably one of the
strongest and listened to national organic organizations. It also is
pragmatic, since the farmers want to make a living. The problem with the
beekeeping side is there were and are few organic beekeepers in Maine
and none were commercial (make a living from it), so the standards stuck
and continue to be unrealistic (in my opinion). They did fit the
beekeeper who made them up some ten or more years ago. I doubt if he
still keeps bees.

So anyone wanting to know if they are organic or natural beekeepers will
not find the answer here. Too much opinion and faith. Just check what
you can put on the label, and you are at least blessed by Uncle Sam. He
even has a website.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine