From:
yoonytoons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:27:06 -0500
Aaron:

An excellent rebuttal on Raw Honey!  And I must agree with you, too.
Although I have never advertised my own honey as Raw Honey as such, mine
is minimum, cold-filtered honey, and when I bottle mine, after skimming
the overnight floaters [the “nuts and bolts” as George once put it] atop
the settling tank, I still see tiny wax-capping-debris forming a ring atop
the quart jars I exclusively use, but not to such an extent that it will
turn the buyers off.  I have this year retailed a barrel of honey ($10 per
quart) this way, and I have less than a case [about six quarts] left to my
name.

To further accentuate the *semblance* of uncouth RAWNESS of “ma- and pa-
home operation” in the outback, I deliberately avoid using any fancy
labeling: I just use the cheapest address label I can get from Staples,
print in black and white the necessary info using my desktop inkjet
printer, water-proof the sheet with a hair-sprayer, and stick them on the
bottle.  Done.  They are not sold at any grocery stores yet; rather, they
are sold, by case, at banks, a Feed Center, schools, tribal stores, a
local factory, and to neighbors, all through word of mouth [Yes, the
consumer is the king, being always right]; in fact, they call me around
August, asking when I will extract.  I have not been able to advertise on
the local news paper, for I just have not had enough inventories so far.
At the Feed Center, they retail my honey around $13.00 per quart
[Atwood’s, about$7.50, a slight increase from last year], for my local
honey is a rarity around here after VD wiped out beekeepers, and the savvy
manager there tells me about the high price, “You never want to start low
in selling business,” understanding the weird psychology of buyers ,and
they do.  RAW is in; sophistication, out.

Yoon