Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:39:17 -0500
All the baggage I'm including in this response will probably disqualify
it as violating the rules of the list, but here goes.

This very subject came up tonight at our local beekeeper's meeting. Our
(IL) state bee inspector described the method detailed in Allen's post
and expressed relief that a safer technique had been found. Apparently
the Varroa mite uses a sticky substance on it's feet that that allow it
to cling to the bees. The powdered sugar interferes with this sticky
grip and the mite falls off during the shaking. The exact method
described tonight varied slightly from Allen's, but only in the design
of the container which used 1/8" hardware cloth in the lid to allow the
sugar/mite mixture to be dumped out before releasing the bees.

AL