From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:19:31 -0500
.".the Russian Blue line produced in excess of 100 pound average in most
locations. The Gold line did a super better in the same area."

>Do you attribute this to the genetics of the Gold line?

The gold line is based on Italian stock and the gold line has been selected
for honey production for quite a few years and the Russian has not..

  >Or was the management any different?

Spring management was the same.

>Given equal stores going into the winter, do you find that the Blue line
needs extra in the spring to get going?

All the Russian/Russian and the Russian hybrids I have used winter good and
use less stores.  They also do not respond to pollen patties as well as
other lines  and do not want to build until fresh pollen is coming in which
is not a problem for me as we get Maple /henbit pollen usually in mid March
long before dandelions.
Many times we get  willows before dandelions.

Based on your experience, it sounds like the Gold line is better overall
than the Blue line, Bob?

You really can't compare a thoroughbred (bred for racing) horse to a nag
imported from the fields of Russia to use horses as an example.

 The lines that makeup the Purvis gold line bee are impressive. Due to a
non-discloser agreement I signed with Dan Purvis and a retired USDA
researcher (wants to remain unnamed) I can not disclose the queens involved.

The Russian bee needs a decade of selctive breeding to produce the bee I
would like to see but  could easily be done! Selecting for honey production
among your Russian hives is not rocket science!

I like the Russian queen / NWC drone  cross and the Blue line Purvis Russian
queen / Gold line drone cross.

If done correctly you can pick up a 30% hybrid vigor with the above Russian
hybrids BUT you need to raise and mate new queens when you requeen to keep
up the hybrid vigor .

The key is the breeder queen you choose and the drone source. Use  a NWC
queen and Russian drone stock and the bee changes (or at least has for me).
The hybrid vigor should continue.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison