From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:49:04 -0600
> I trust that you initially contacted Doug and received a reply before
> posting your diatribe on the state of our beekeeping here.

di·a·tribe - Pronunciation: 'dI-&-"trIb - Function: noun
Etymology: Latin diatriba, from Greek diatribE pastime, discourse, from
diatribein to spend (time), wear away, from dia- + tribein to rub -- more at
THROW
1 archaic : a prolonged discourse
2 : a bitter and abusive speech or writing
3 : ironic or satirical criticism

I am assuming you meant that in the archaic sense?  The more contemporary
meanings would not seem appropriate.

At any rate, I, for one, did appreciate Rob's contribution, especially
knowing about his tribulations with losses in the past, and his lack of
bitterness.  I hope to hear more from him.

Certainly, though, that was a long epistle, covering a lot of ground, and
could have made three or four good posts (hint, hint)

> Figures I will not  quote, but I can say this, that we here in Canada  are
> fortunate to have a system amongst us which has allowed us to put in place
> solutions for the problems we encounter and that  works on solution for
> impending situations.

Unfortunately, for Rob, this proved not to be the case,.  The "system"
actually did him a lot of harm, and frankly, in the free part of Canada, at
least, many of us think that the "system" you mention accomplishes its task
of ensuring *bee* health -- to the extent it does -- by impoverishing
*beekeepers* or slowly forcing them out of business by cutting them off from
opportunity.  The obvious proof, to anyone who will look, is that in Canada,
wherever regulation is least, the industry is growing, but in the areas
where regulation is greatest, the industry has been in a long contraction.

> To mention a few--the likes of Winston, Szabo,Nasr, Guszman, McRory, OBA
> techtransfer team et al in government and research have collectively given
> us the tools and legislation to counter the main problems that we face.

I applaud and recognise the research and extension work, but decry the
legislation that is opressive, excessively universal and, at this point,
largely useless for the purposes claimed for it. IMO it amounts to legal
illegal restraint of trade.  There is too much of that in Canada.  The Wheat
Board is finally getting its oppressive powers diminished, maybe this will
signal a turn?  Unfortunately no one -- so far -- has had the money or guts
to take Canada's outrageous bee legislation to court.  Maybe some US
organisation will do it for us?

> CCD has too many variables.

To date, many possibilities have been discussed, but the jury is still out.
At this point, we oughtn't IMO confuse speculation with fact. many people
who have not had CCD are thinking they have.  from what I hear, it is
unmistakable.

I'm fairly sure that, knowing Jerry, we'll get an answer, and not necesarily
one we expect.