From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:09:15 EST
With respect to the comments from Ames Farms:  I agree  with many of the
comments made about the Bee Alert and  AIA surveys.

If you read our full report, we admit up front that our  Bee Alert Bee Loss
survey is primarily aimed at identifying trends and  correlations, looking for
patterns.  It is not, as you pointed out,  unbiased -- which we say in the
report.

We are trying to find out what beekeepers are doing,  seeing.  What's
different between a beekeeper who has the problem versus  one that has not.  Where
have the bees been, where moved -- is something  transferring with the bees?
What queen lines are being used? What  treatments?  We're looking for clues, not
trying to get an absolute number  of lost bees.

In an ideal world, someone would be conducting the random  survey you
mentioned -- and that was one of the Congressional requests  covered in today's
testimony-- set up a national stats program that considers  issues such as bee loss.

That said, the AIA report is useful, but limited in other  ways -- their
method was:  each state bee inspector, or person charged  with apiary, call 15
beekeepers that he/she considers to be representative of  the state's beekeepers.
 Please choose 5 large, 5 medium/sideline,  and 5 hobby beekeepers.   That's
not a random  survey.

Problems with this approach, many states no longer have an  state inspector.
So, we've surveys from states not part of the  AIA -- and CCD seems to be
patchy - hitting different regions at different times  of the year.  Also, many
of our respondents stipulated that we NOT  inform, share data with their state
inspector,

We've numerous calls from state officials wanting to know who  has CCD and
where in their state - seems we have reports that they don't.   Unfortunately,
we can't release this inform without violating  confidentiality.  On the other
hand, most of our respondents gave us their  name and phone number, and we've
had many informative follow up  conversations/interviews.

Lesson learned, neither survey approach is likely to be  unbiased.  Remember
also, both AIA and ourselves are doing this mainly on  our own nickel - we've
no funds to mail out random surveys, etc.  -   but we'd surely like to be able
to do so.  We also can't get lists of  registered beekeepers from many states
without going through a  laborious and time consuming access process.

Our on-line approach produced some quickly gathered,  useful (at least to
us), initial information.  The press  coverage in the bee journals and other
media has resulted in a surge of surveys  -- we've doubled numbers in last two
weeks.  Now we're getting the faxed  forms, whereas the first group were mainly
e-mail or on-line submissions.   That said, the current results now seem to fit
what we've seen in all of  the state's that we've visited in the east, south,
and west.  Our first 221  surveys were obviously biased toward small
operations without a problem.   The later surveys are indicating more severe problems
and were received from  larger operations.

Finally, be careful of reading the two reports and comparing  percentages.
Diana says 17% loss is considered normal by  beekeepers -- our survey does not
indicate any real difference here.   In fact, I'm surprised to find beekeepers
who think 50% loss or greater is  normal.  Our respondents would have
considered 17% to be low or average bee  loss.    Diana also says that the AIA survey
found that  approximately one-quarter of the responding beekeepers suffered
CCD.

Our data differs here mainly in the observation  that as severity of loss
goes up, so does the proportion of beekeepers  reporting CCD.   The   41.2% of
beekeepers reporting severe losses to us did not all attribute all  of their
losses to CCD - please look at Table 5 - you can read off the CCD  numbers for
low, average, moderate, and severe loss, and for bee operations  ranging from
less than 100 to more than 10,000 colonies.  And remember, nearly half of our
respondents had not had any unusual bee losses.

Finally, you say that the numbers from either survey seem  high from your
perspective in MN.  That's surprising considering the number  of surveys
documenting losses that we've received from MN.  I  suggest you talk to the MN
beekeeper who testified today.  And, I'd argue  that the real issue is bee losses,
which affect the bottom line for beekeepers  and growers - it doesn't matter so
much what kills them, if losses are  widespread and severe.  Talk to a
beekeeper facing a loss on the  scale of $1.2 M for this year alone, and you get a
reality check.  I  certainly did. They may be able to suck it up this year, but
most can't do  it again next year.

Jerry