Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:04:53 -0600
The dark can be another tool vested to beekeeping but certainly not to be used
'lightly'.

Bob's experience with crawling bees is one I've shared.  Bees without the
benefit of daylight are sure to crawl quietly to the best part of your body that
will ensure an impact of the most devastating kind, and squat in that spot
driving her stinger three times deeper than she would otherwise during daylight.

Finding time for beekeeping can sometimes drive a semi-commercial beekeeper to
keep odd hours.  Last night I supered three hives in the dark knowing full well
to keep my feet free from wherever bees could drop to the ground.

The good part about hiving bees at night is testing out your equipment.  You
never really know how good your bee suit REALLY is until you've stirred up
several thousand bees in the dark.  Think your suit is bee-proof?

Matthew Westall
     //        Earthling Bees
 >8(())))-     "Take me to your feeder"
     \\        Castle Rock, CO,  USA