From:
Dave and Judy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:44:57 -0500
Hello all of our beefriends!

I am trying to complete a list of United States' State Bee Associations
(or large local clubs) to show the amount of dues that are charged and
also the benefits received in return for those dues.

If you are a member, or officer, of a state club, would you email this
information to me to avoid clutter on Bee-L?

Thanks for your help.

Now for a bee story.

We had a nuc hive with a really old Buckfast queen (Dave just has a
problem killing the old queen when requeening, so we always end up with
a couple nucs with older queens.  Usually the nucs don't survive long
because of their queens.)  This particular queen was a Buckfast from 5
years ago.  She's been in and out of nucs and hives for 3 years now.
We have requeened her original hive twice and her successors have gone
into the night.  But not this lady.

We had a swarm hive that we had caught later in the summer that never
had time to build up.  Not a really great laying pattern.  This swarm
was not one of our own.  Came from an area about 25 miles southwest of
us.

Sooo, solution, join the two.  With his usual reluctance to kill a
queen, Dave just joined the nuc with the weak hive using the newspaper.
Let the queens decide who will survive.

Two weeks later we did our final school presentation with our
observation hive.  This ob hive had a brand new, this summer,  queen.  2
1/2 weeks after Dave joined the nuc and the weak hive, he went in again
to join the observation hive.  This time he was determined to find and
kill the queen.  Both queens were still in the hive.  In a 2 box hive,
they were in the same box, 1 frame apart, both with their own queen
contingent!  What a wonderful opportunity to watch what may happen when
you have a 2 queen hive that are not mother/daughter, or related in any
way.  Unfortunately this idea didn't occur to Dave until after he had
crushed the queens and was walking back down to the house.

Oh well.

Thanks again for your help.

Judy in Kentucky, USA