From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 00:23:33 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Harrison
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hello all,
>A recent post asked about working her bees at night to avoid stings and
>bothering her neighbors working her bees.
>Bees crawl at night.
They will also fly at night. At me. Quiet colonies in the daytime *can*
become stingers at night. This applies to putting feeders on, putting
wet supers back on to clean up and provide more space for honey,
preparing colonies to move next morning, even to blocking the entrance
up, but especially lifting the top off. An old friend and colleague,
used to go to his hives before 7 a.m. and said they were docile then.
They are said to navigate by UV which they get from the north sky. They
are said to work at night in more northern latitudes!
--
James Kilty