Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:32:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Hello all,

I would like to add to Chuck's and Allen's comments on the importance of a mentor.  There is nothing better than working bees with someone experienced and willing to teach.  Most beekeepers (as opposed to beehavers) I know will gladly help someone starting out.  We all were there at one time.  You will learn things that you could not get from reading tons of books.  How to read a colony is a skill that is difficult to master on your own, but is much easier when someone shows you what to look for.

I could go on forever talking about the benefits of learning from a mentor, but I rather just offer two pieces of advice to anyone starting out.  First, join and become active in a beekeeping organization in your area.  When these folks meet there is well-spring of knowledge in that room.  Just ask any question and you will get a number of different answers; all usually being correct.  You will learn how to keep bees in your part of the world and what works best in your area.  Second and more importantly, remember it's a two way street.  Some new beekeepers, in a panic, won't think twice about calling the beekeeper they met at the meeting and asking them to come right over and look at their problem.  In most cases the beekeeper will help them.  I would like to suggest calling that same experienced beekeeper and offer to help them with their work.  Spend an afternoon helping them requeen or harvesting honey or some other chore.  During the time you spend with them you will get much more than you give.  There is nothing that frustrates me more than someone that shows up expecting to gain everything and give nothing back.  I once had a new beekeeper say, "I want to attend your club meetings and learn everything, BUT I don't want to get too involved, and maybe get stuck doing something.  I am too busy for that."  Hard to believe.

I have been keeping bees for quit a while now, and there is still so much to learn.  Please take the advice, get involved, you will be glad you did.

Oh, one other thing.  Requeen every year!  :-)

Ron

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, (eastern) PA, USA

+

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2