From:
Terry B Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:48:17 -0500
In July I purchased three colonies of bees - bottom board, deep brood
super & top, which had come from spring splits.  In August (when bottom
was duely full)  I placed 2nd deep super, Apistan strips and grease
patties for AFB.  3 1/2 weeks ago when 2nd deep was completely drawn out
and partially filled I placed a shallow honey super with Duragilt
foundation.  As of this past weekend no beginning of drawing out
although second deep is 90-100% filled.  After reading last weeks
postings, I removed shallow supers, cut communication holes in
foundation, randomly sprayed frames with sugar water, and bore 1/2 inch
hole in that super to prevent winter suffocation/aid in reduction of
condensation, then replaced them.  Similar to todays posting, I too had
noticed a pungent odor about the hives, but am now relieved that it is
likely goldenrod, aster or mint, all of which we have an abundance of in
bloom at this time.

My concerns/confusion:
1.  It was my understanding that the two deep supers would be used for
brood.  By my  observation, the second deep is mostly honey stores, very
little brood.  Does this mean my colony is not strong/queen is not good?

2. Until a week or so after placement of shallow supers I had been
tending my bees in "street clothes".  Although I consider my bees
extremely gentle, I suffered stings to each thumb at that time and  my
hands both looked like blown up doctors office exam gloves - in fact I
missed a day from work due to inability to perform manual tasks.  My
point is I have become rather apprehensive of my hive checks, am SUITING
UP in addition to smoking, and am reluctant to go into that bottom
super.  Something I read here made me question whether it is the normal
thing to do (although common sense tells me it must be done to check
brood/etc) - please confirm or deny necessity of bottom brood  checks,
as well as frequency.
3.  I have noticed that most of the new comb/cappings in the 2nd deep
are very white, however, this past weekend I found quite a large amount
of what appeared to be empty or nearly empty DARK comb sharing a frame
with honey and a few capped brood (no discernable larvae).  Is this comb
that has produced brood or is there something else going on?
4.  I am rather anxious about whether or not to feed and if so when to
make that decision?  At present each hive has a deep super full of honey
stores.  I am not going to take any off unless they come near filling
the shallow, but I understand it takes quite a bit of energy to draw the
comb out, so at this stage, that may be pushing it a little far.  Is
what's in the bottom brood box plus the 2nd deep super enough to
overwinter?  If not, when do I feed?

Thanks for any support/suggestions you may have.  I've been on the
B-List since getting my bees and have learned a lot from it and enjoy it
greatly.

Patty in Central Missouri - 3 hives/less than 3 months