Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:46:26 -0500

> If, through a combination of methods, we can reduce the use of fluvalinate
> to once a year, some beekeepers may be able to avoid mites resistant to
> fluvalinate.

And this is very important. Information from out state bee inspectors is
that it will be a long time before mites resistant to fluvalinate will
breed out the resistance. If cumophos is lost due to resistance, abuse or
its environmental dangers then we have a problem.

Until we have a way to keep bees alive without treaments, the honey bee is
in grave danger. I would be afraid that if we were to see something like a
major economic disaster (such as the great depression of the 1920's) we
could lose the entire species. The mite free areas of the Pacific are the
last refuge.

With the current bee pests, the mites, the beetles, the AFB I am wondering
if we will not see the end of honey bees outside of the areas that are now
"mite free". Of course this could have the effect of a giant "reset" where
the pests die with the hosts and we could start over with "clean" stock.