From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:00:19 -0400
Hi Dick and Everyone,

>I seem to remember that a couple of years or so ago, there was a study
“discussed” on the now defunct Yahoo Biological Beekeeping group.

I do remember this study. A few patches of small cell sized comb was
inserted into the center of a frame of large cell comb. These brood combs
were then extracted after three or four months. A mite count was done for
the capped brood on these frames. And the results compared between the small
and large cell size areas.

The thought was that small cell size somehow interferred with mite
reproduction. It was a common expression with some in the small cell camp
about the time of the study. And this study wasn't a bad way to check for
that assumption. But it sure didn't test the validy of small cell beekeeping
at all.

>all I can say is that in my case, bees that I had on small cell comb for
well over a year became badly infested with mites.

Forgive me if I've missed your posts, but I'm quite interested in the
details as our experiences appear very different concerning small cell.

Regards
Dennis