From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 13:14:50 +0000
Computer Software Solutions Ltd ( Tom Barrett) wrote:
> I do not know what a
> ripe cell looks like. I do know, that the queen cells are somewhat acorn
> like, and may be in the centre of combs if they are supercedure cells, or on
> the bottom of combs if they are swarming cells.
>
> What exactly does one do, to remove the cell without damage from the colony
> in which it starts, and then how does one 'affix' it to the colony into
> which it is to be introduced. Is there a preferred time of day to do this,
> what are the chances of success, and how does one guard against failure?.

When a queen cell is "ripe", or ready for the queen to emerge, the workers remove the
outer layer of beeswax from about 2 mm of the end of the cell, exposing the cocoon.
The silk of the cocoon is a shiny red-brown, easily distinquished from the dull wax of
the rest of the cell.

If removing such a cell from its normal position near the bottom of the frame, much
care is necessary to prevent damage.  Keep the frame and cell always in a vertical
position, then cut well around the base of the cell with a sharp knife.  Hold the cell
by the thick wax at its base, being careful not to squeeze the queen inside.  If you
can hear a rustling sound inside the cell, the queen is fully developed and ready to
emerge, otherwise she is still in a late developmental stage.  In the latter case, it
is very important to never tip the cell on its side.

I would then take the cell and introduce it into a day old queenless nuc, gently
positioning it between the top bars of two frames.

Hope this works for you.  I have done this lots of times with good hives making ready
to swarm.  (I also usually make up the nucs from such a hive, because otherwise I may
miss a cell and the hive will swarm anyway!)

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA