From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:05:43 -0400
direct to me:
---

> I think it must be noted, considering the fast developing recovery of
the feral population as well as breeding for resistance in commercial
stock,  that the 10 percent estimate is perhaps an extremely out-dated
factoid.  The 10% number was proposed years ago, during the early
investigations into hygienic behavior for resistance to mites.

Yes.  I agree, but although the future is here, it is still not evenly
distributed.  And, moreover, there are those among us who knowingly
or unknowingly maintain and propagate non-hygienic stock and are
thus keeping the problem from resolving.

Since there is no visible indication of the lethal genetic weakness (lack
of hygienic qualities) -- at least, that is until the colony or colonies
break down with various maladies -- for as long as they are treated
constantly, and not requeened, they can continue present a hazard to
other beekeepers.  They are a manace to both their neighbours, and
to the people who believe them when they claim that their inferior
bees are superior in some way that justifies them.

Some of those who maintain non-hygienic stock do so out of ignorance
or long habit.  Others simply lack the skills or persistance or the
scruples to make sure they are not propagating bad stock.  There are
many to which both excuses apply.  It has been proven now that that
proper hygienic selection does eliminate other good properties in a
strain of bees, and the time has come to get the message across.
That is IMO why Dr. Spivak is going to the source of the problem and
working with the queen producers.

Some think hygienic bees in every outfit is a pipe dream or a luxury,
but it is not.  We are not going to have the luxury of using chemicals
much longer.  If the authortities don't act to say, "Enough", then the
customers and insurance companies will. Besides, the cost and the
difficulty of constantly working with non-hardy bees and replacing
losses when the latest chemical fails is wearing beekeepers down.
Imagine not having to worry about mite counts and AFB.  Someday we
will get there.  Who knows, maybe we can breed for bees that are
resistant to nosema, too.

> A test of all my colonies consisting of ferals in 2004, and before I
started selecting for hygienic behavior indicated 60% carried the trait, I
only counted those expressing above 90% as hygienic.  Below 90%
hygienic were all eliminated.

I'd be interested in knowing  what test you are using.  Is it the multiple
circle nitrogen test, counting removed brood percentage after 48 hrs?

I guess that is the message I am announcing to the unbelievers and
the Rip van Winkles in the group. <G>

I hope I am right.