From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:00:53 EST
At the meeting last week, we discussed concerns about honey - as  articulated
by at least one person on Bee-L.  So far, we've heard  questions about this
from a relatively few people.  Its something  that needs to be addressed, but
it is not something that the group thought  likely to prove to be a problem.

I am going out on a limb here, and I will provide my own opinion  on this
issue.  Remember, its my opinion and I may be wrong - but  I don't worry about
consuming honey.  I'm still eating  honey.  I say this after 30 some years of
looking at chemicals and other  things in bees, wax, and honey.  We've seen
everything for toxic metals  like lead and cadmium to industrial chemicals like
solvents and even some chem  warfare agents.

Disease:
If the CCD is a disease pathogen, it should be host-specific to bees and
pose no threat to mammals or people.  Cases of a pathogen that is host  specific
to an insect affecting higher animals are so rare as to be  almost
non-existent. And it goes both ways.  Just as we aren't made  ill by foul brood
bacteria; bees aren't susceptible to human anthrax.

That said, there is at least one soil fungi that kills grasshoppers and  when
concentrated (by researchers trying to create a new microbial pesticide) it
produced a chemical at levels toxic to rats.  But, that  scenario would
normally not occur in nature.

Chemicals:
If the CCD is chemical induced, then we're looking at a chemical produced  by
a disease (e.g., fungi and aflotoxins), a chemical used on crops (e.g.,
pesticides), a chemical from other environmental sources (e.g., pollution), or a
chemical being used in beehives by beekeepers.  Or chemicals from any or  all
of these sources.

But remember, the dose to a bee inside a hive is far different from  the dose
to humans consuming honey, simply because we are huge in size compared  to
bees.  The difference in dose needed to harm a human compared to  that kills
bees usually differs by many orders of magnitude.  And  if we are talking about
sublethal doses to bees, the affective chemical  concentration drops even more.

And, at this time of year, the colonies are pulled down to one or two
stories - basically brood boxes -- any honey in those boxes isn't being  harvested.

Also, except in the very worst CCD cases, we usually find a queen and young
bees left in the box -- so they are still alive, even if most of the old  bees
have left.  In the worst cases, a few bees and the queen are found  dead in
the box -- but I suspect this is because the population was so  decimated that
they just can't thermo-regulate, cover brood, etc.

Whether the old, vanished,  bees die of chemical poisoning or  of
illness/exposure to the elements is unknown, but I'd lean towards the  latter
explanation.  Our own work shows that bees respond behaviorally to  many chemicals at
levels far below those toxic to humans, and toxic to the bees  themselves.
Personally, I think if a chemical(s) are  involved, it/they are acting as a
repellant, driving bees, beetles, and  moths out of the boxes.

It seems to dissipate in a few weeks, and then bees are able to  re-establish
on the combs.  If any remaining nectar or honey was toxic to  bees, it should
continue to be toxic - but it doesn't appear to be a  continuing concern to
the bees themselves.

None of this means that if a chemical is involved in the outflux of bees
from the brood boxes, that the chemical is necessarily ending up in  honey or
that it is toxic to either bees or people.

So, I'm still eating honey. Now remember, honey can harbor non-bee  related
organisms like botulism in small amounts, which is why we don't  recommend
honey consumption by infants or young children - their immune systems  are not
fully developed/functional.  So, a bit of common sense  prevails.

Finally, even in the worst chemical contamination of honey - and we've seen
some over the last three decades, the amount of honey consumed by a person  is
still a small part of their total diet, and most honey is blended,
consolidated from many hives, beeyards, and beekeepers.  All of that means  that any
toxic material is diluted so much as to be almost non-existent.   And packers
like Sioux Bee routinely analyze honey and will reject contaminated  product.

That said, hobby beekeepers with one or two hives should be smart about
where they keep their hives.  We've seen honey and pollen from backyards  near
smelters with high levels of toxic metals, especially in the pollen.   If you
have hives in such a location and your brood keeps dying, don't eat the  pollen.

Hope this helps -- and I emphasize, its my own opinion, not that of anyone
else.

Jerry
http://www.aol.com.