From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:06:39 -0400
http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/r/range.html
The human hearing range is from 20 Hz to about 20,000 Hz.

The below was more concerned with distinguishing "loudness"  (phons) between
500 and 1500 hz -- see
http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/e/equal_loud_cont.html.  Fewer decibels
are required for humans to hear in the 500-1500 Hz range (10db), while more
decibels are required at higher and lower frequencies to be perceived as the
same loudness.  Actually, we hear best at about 2,000 Hz. Thus, a 10 db
sound in the 1500 range will be "heard" as much louder than a 10db sound at
250 Hz (and possibly not hear at all by someone with a level of deafness).
According to the graph, the same 10db sound that would have been perceived
at 500-1500 Hz, is "inaudible" (below human perception) at 250 db (the graph
shows about 20 db needed to hear at that frequency).  We can here at 250 Hz
quite easily (men better than women, in fact).  The point of the
inaudibility" is the difference between hearing a radio tuned next to you,
versus one at the same loudness six blocks down the road (different db at
that point).

The same web site (and many others, as well) has some pretty good
explanations and graphs on the entire audio subject.