From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:24:07 -0700
I have refrained from describing my solution because it is so
rinky-dink, as befits a rinky-dink hobbyist beekeeper.  I use a
cardboard box which fits over the baking pan I stole from my kitchen
range.  Cut the box sides on a diagonal at an angle approximately at
90 degrees to the autumn sun.  Slit the outer layer of the cardboard
about 1/2" inch from the edge and turn that strip outward 90 degrees
to form a flange around the diagonal opening.  Line the inside of the
box with aluminum foil.  Glue a second thickness of cardboard around
the outside for added insulation.  Fasten a piece of glass to the
flange with contact cement.  Set this box on top of the pan which is
sitting on a multi-layer pad of cardboard.  I place the comb in a
large bag with tiny pores like a paint strainer inside the pan to
catch small debris.  Since most of the wax comes from the foundation
(I think), I orient the comb vertically in the pan so that that wax
can drain vertically.  Remove the mostly dewaxed comb residue as it
drains and replace with more until the pan approaches full.  Finally,
remove the bag and pour the melted wax through a strainer into a
container.  I put an inch of hot water in that container to catch and
dissolve non-wax liquids on which the melted wax is floating.  Dan