From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:32:50 -0500
FYI,
I purchase both commercial and select woodenware for my business as I
resell woodenware as well as other beekeeping supplies. However, I use
only commercial woodenware for building my hives, frames, and supers. If I
find a loose knot I glue it with a water-resistant glue, the same glue as
I use on all my wooden frames as well as 10 nails or 10 staples. I have
found that in some cases one's commercial woodenware is equal to or better
than another source's select. I do not purchase budget woodenware because
these truly are rejects and the quality is truly missing.  IMO you are
better off buying woodenware from a supplier that you can trust and who
you can build a long term relationship with; the price of the woodenware
is not as important as the quality of the manufacturer.

One important note:  Beespace!  Each reputable manufacturer will dimension
their woodenware as a system since beespace must be maintained between
frames, supers, hive bodies, etc.  If you get frames from one
manufacturer, supers from another, and hive bodies and innerboards from
still another you are inviting the bees that you want to put forth effort
drawing comb on frames to fill your hive with burr, brace and bridges of
comb and honey that you will wind up removing with your hivetool and not
an uncapping knife. IMO using budget woodenware invites the same problems.
It pays to be prudent, not cheap!

Chuck Norton
Norton's Nut & Honey Farm
Reidsville, NC