From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:00:27 -0700
> I am going to mix a batch patties of pollen, pollen substitute and
> fructose this week in an electric cement mixer. Can the list provide
> pointers on the process of mixing and making the patties?

I've covered the topic in my diary.  See http://tinyurl.com/3ly4m .
Depending on the constituents and your target consitencey, at minimum, the
paddles need to be removed from your mixer, and possibly a scraper bar
added.

My advice, if you need many patties is at all, is to buy from a company that
specializes in  patty-making.  They buy the components at advantagous
prices, the protein components they use is 100& factory-fresh, any pollen
used (optional) is properly irradiated, plus they do a superior job in terms
of consistency, fast service, and often can make patties for a lower cost,
including delivery, than the beekeeper himself.  They may even have stock on
hand and be able to deliver a pallet or two in a matter of days -- as
quickly as a truck can be found, loaded and cover the distance.

The company with which I have experience is Global Patties --
http://www.globalpatties.com . Pretty well all the big Alberta commercial
beekeepers I know use their products, either a standard formula, or a
custom-ordered version.  I've heard there may be other such producers, and I
know that Mann Lake has a BeePro patty and have both improved it and lowered
the price recently.  For sake of full disclosure: I am a consultant for
Global Patties and help them out from time to time.

Anyhow, I would never make patties if I could buy them or contract them with
Global.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/