From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:28:42 -0400
Greetings all,
     I have been watching the discussion on bee research for several
reasons.  I find scientific study and research quite fascinating.  As a
science teacher, each year, I cover the basics with my students about how
research is conducted, what info is considered valid, and the steps to be
followed.  Next year, I intend to use this discussion as a stepping stone
into the realm of scientific research for my students, and show them that
researchers and laypeople dont always agree on the results, or how to use
the information.  One thing the students dont seem to grasp is that average
ordinary people can do valid research.
     A couple of things have not been addressed in this discussion, and I
would like to mention them.  First, anyone can do valid and important
research even though they are not affiliated with any educational or
government institution.  Some of the greatest inventions known have come
from everyday people who asked the question "why?".  For research to be
valid and meaningful, one must adhere to scientific guidelines that are
recognized the world over.  These guidelines are a series of steps or
conditions that must be met, and are often referred to as the Scientific
Method.  The basic steps of the scientific method can be found in most any
high school or college science textbook.  For the research to be
meaningful, these steps must be used.  Also, proper recordkeeping and
notetaking is extremely important.  You want to be as thorough as possible,
so that someone else, using your data can perform the experiment to check
and validate results. In addition, numbers are important.  Gregor Mendel,
the father of modern genetics ran thousands of trials for each of the 8
traits he studied in his pea plants.  Also, be objective.  Dont try to make
the results meet your hypothesis.  This is a good example of "poor
science".  A failed experiment has merit, and is a starting place for
further study.  Lastly, know your terminology.  Most of what we deal with
is hypothesis, not theory.  A theory is a hypothesis that has been proven
over and over again.  A law is a theory that has been shown to be
absolutely true every time.  The sun rising in the east and setting in the
west is a good everyday example of a law.  If you are interested in running
some trials on something, contact your local agriculture extension office.
I know here in Missouri, ours is willing to help out if you have a good
idea for an experiment, and they can even help you write a grant to get
money for your study.  Good luck, and thanks!
Scott