From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:35:22 -0500
At 08:54 AM 1/6/2000 -0700, Dr. Wenner wrote:

>   Why should beekeepers and bee researchers be concerned about flagrant
>use of teleology (insisting on purpose for each behavior) and
>anthropomorphism (imposing human traits on animal subjects) in animal
>behavior studies?  First of all, it prevents objectivity among those who
>wish to study the animal scientifically.

and

>   Surely beekeepers can recognize what such an attitude might lead to.
>Among other potential concerns, the possibility exists that the public
>might become too emotionally involved in how beekeepers treat their
>"subjects."  Already, I have read of animal right extremists who have
>insisted that honey bees should not be kept in prisons (i.e., hives) and
>that no one should be allowed to take their hard earned honey and wax from
>them.

Let us for a moment assume that Dr. Wenner possesses absolute truth about
bees.  Of what use is truth in preventing the excesses of animal rights
extremists?  When have extremists ever been willing to be informed by the
truth, reason, logic, or anything but their own emotions?  In isolation,
extremists are but a small threat to animal keepers.  Difficulties begin
when extremists persuade persons ignorant of the legitimate pursuit of
agricultural activities that their stand represents the moral high ground.
Once a significant number of persons are thus persuaded, the problem becomes
political.  The political arena is notoriously inimical to truth, reason,
and logic.  If we must do battle, even armed with the truth, in the
political arena, we're doomed.  However, observation of human behavior can
give us great hope.

Firstly, moral causes seldom overcome the self-interest of the majority.  If
we can effectively communicate another truth, that being the dependency of
much of the food supply upon honey bees, we shall have taken a large
protective step.  To sweeten the deal, instead of preaching only the
healthfulness of honey, we might help those around us to appreciate its
exquisite flavors.  Three years ago I was part of the uninitiated public,
but now am converted by knowledge of bees' importance to my enjoyment of
food, and most especially of comb honey.  In concord with the deepest urges
of Winnie the Pooh, I am oblivious to anthropomorphism toward bees, and
promote the arctomorphy (change to bear form) of humans.

Secondly, a lesson from Ronald Reagan.  Arguments about the efficacy or evil
of his administration aside, his great appeal to the majority is undeniable.
His avuncular demeanor gave most people confidence that everything was being
handled.  We should understand our need to be confident and affable
ambassadors.  Less than two years into beekeeping I'm already addressed as
"Bee-Man" by neighbors of one out-apiary.  Two nearby families, one opposed
to the eating of meat, were recently parties to a rancorous debate at the
town Planning Board about a small custom meat cutting operation on the same
street.  I must heed the warning.  Hives must be well kept.  It helps often
to mention that I've come to feed the bees or give them medicine, and to
explain the dread results of lack of such care.  I carefully explain that
bees well kept often produce far in excees of their own needs, inasmuch as
they are suited for less than ideal conditions.  Mentioning the effect of
strong colonies on one family's 160 apple trees does no harm.  A television
was dug out of storage so I could know what my neighbors were seeing about
bees on PBS.  Being within earshot of these neighbors at the out-apiary, I
always address my bees in the tenderest terms of endearment, though not at
all convinced that the bees hear me.  The neighbors, however daft they may
think me, at least understand (correctly) that the bees are loved.
Furthermore, the bees somehow detect and respond pleasantly to a tranquil
attitude.

I've surely missed important things that I should do, but these are examples
of small but important ways in which we can invest daily to keep extremists
isolated.  I offer no opinion on Dr. Wenner's assertions about the nature of
bees, but suggest that understanding and catering to the nature of
beekeepers' neighbors is more crucial to preserving our freedom to keep bees.

Bill Morong