From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:00:59 -0400
> Reports of hives crashing are increasing

I'm not sure that anyone can say that either:

a) the number of beekeeper reports
b) the number of hives reported

are "increasing", but the mere fact that NEW
"cases showing classic CCD symptoms" continue
to be reported is a grave concern, and is the
primary reason to try to preserve (or establish!)
a sense of urgency (not to be confused with a state
of panic) about getting some short-fuse funding.

> Beekeepers in areas of seed treated cotton and canola are
> reporting CCD type symptoms.

As are some in the great clover areas.
Last I checked, no one offered treated clover seed.

Correlation between CCD and bees working any set of
"treated" crops simply has not been clearly established
to my knowledge.  Further, no one has seen any sort
of "slight exposure" where some number of bees have
the "shakes" (the usual indicator of a sub-lethal
Imidacloprid dose).  Without a mix of types of victims
(unaffected, suffering slightly, dead/disappeared),
I don't see how anyone could call CCD a "pesticide
problem", as the overt symptoms do not include a mix
of different symptoms indicating varying levels of
exposure among the hive population.