Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2015 09:23:00 -0500
> Contrary to what some authorities on this board seem to suggest I do have
> the notion that some California based breeders are selecting for bees that
> respond well to a syrup bucket but are, at least in this harsh habitat, not
> very hardy.  i SUSPECT that experience in the commercial queen rearing
> world is a factor that is quite often overlooked but does represent value.
>
> Hardiness is also a factor of 'productivity' that also seems to be
> overlook or ignored... unless of course you are actively pursuing a
> strategy of non treatment for varroa.

I was going to write a separate post on the issue of location and feeding,
but this post summarizes the problem succinctly.

All beekeeping is local. I seldom fed either in spring or fall and my bees
did fine. But during that time we went through a long period of warm
winters with great fall honey production and early springs. Now I am
feeding and if I do not I will not have any bees in the spring. Global
warming has hit and we now have cold winters (I love irony.)

So I am "selecting for bees that respond well to a syrup bucket but are, at
least in this harsh habitat, not very hardy". You better believe I am doing
just that because I enjoy seeing live bees in the spring.

Truth is, everything we do as beekeepers can fit in that condemnation. We
breed bees in a box with man-made  equipment and are about as unnatural as
we can be when we raise our bees. I doubt if bees ever saw formic acid pads
fall from the sky.

To say that others who live in a harsh environment are not raising their
bees correctly, compared to those who live in a bee paradise, is a bit
judgemental and elitist.

We should always check out the other beekeepers moccasins before passing
judgement.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine