From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:56:00 -0500
Eric Brown wrote:
> The whole reason anyone is talking about sustainability is because
> what "the market decided" is so obviously destructive of the communities
> and ecosystems that sustain our quality of life.
Actually, the market works. The market responds to buzz words like
"sustainability" and "organic". It also responds to social pressure, and
generally works with government for accommodating laws. Remove the
market and, as in the ex-Soviet Union, you have massive corruption and
pollution.

Also, such broad statements like "so obviously destructive of the
communities and ecosystems that sustain our quality of life" seem a bit
overblown for what is right here in the US compared to the old USSR.

Merry Christmas to all.

For Christmas dinner, we are having roasted Spotted Owl.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine