From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:48:20 EST

[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  writes  about the in
depth article on honey laundering:

_http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/394053_honey30.asp_
(http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/394053_honey30.asp)

I've been waiting for this article.

Last spring, a customs agent contacted me about this issue - he had a good
start on all of this, took it personal, he and his wife use honey, have
children, try to feed them quality food.  He was distressed by lack of  interest
from FDA, and surprised to find how much of this was going on, as well  as all of
the ways in which the product was being brought in, and some of the  people
who were involved.

Then, Andrew Schneider, the Seattle P.I. reporter, contacted me.   He's spent
several months on what he thought was going to be a short  article.  He's
been all over the U.S. tracking this story.

He met with Dave Westerveld and myself in MT, when Dave was here for the MT
beekeeping meetings.

Not sure how we got involved with all of this, but both were looking for
contacts within the bee industry who would help them sort all of this  out.  I
directed them toward contacts at the national bee  associations, who had had a
history fighting dumping, adulterated  honey, the AHPA lawyer, etc.  I was
amused when both said that they  weren't sure why they had my name, but that
numerous people had referred them to  me.

Both knew more about this, than I; but neither knew much about the  structure
or contacts within the national beekeeping associations.  So, did  my best to
introduce them to those in the bee industry who don't like these  practices,
still value quality U.S. honey.

As I understand, there may be a series of stories.  Will be interested  to
see if charges are filed.  At least one customs agent wants to see some  folks
prosecuted and put in jail.

Talking with Andrew and the customs agent, this story is complex, runs  deep,
involves some surprising people and countries.

Jerry

**************Don't be the last to know - click here for the latest news that
will have people talking. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000021)