Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 03:33:50 GMT
Folks from the UK mentioned last year that, in their areas, English ivy can produce a super of surplus honey that crystalizes quickly.  I checked my local English ivy stands then and was disappointed not to see honey bees on them.

What a difference this year!  I stopped by some old black locust trees in ivy's strangle-hold by the library today.  Some blossom clusters had 2-3 honey bees not counting wasps and butterflies.

There is not much old growth ivy by me but whatever stands we have seem to provide some good, late nectar to the bees.  Interestingly, there was no pollen in the leg baskets.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY