From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:07:43 -0500
Steve said:
 It seems like this could potentially achieve
regression without the big losses that have been talked about. Has anyone
tried this?

Small cell *regression* has been a nightmare for many to gain what?
If you read D. Murrell's web page he explains about the 4.9mm myth that
started the whole thing.

Stories abound all over the bee lists of small cell failures! Dick Allen & I
have stepped forward to say our research was a failure and waste of time!
How about a few others giving their findings? Please limit the comments to
those that have had bees on small cell more than a season and have not used
a treament of any kind. Most swarms will last well into the second year if
not infested when hived.

Many people are keeping bees successfully *without* all the expense, labor &
grief with regression. My bees look great! Look like they looked before
varroa! Clean comb did the trick on the non varroa tolerant bees and varroa
tolerant bees solved the varroa problems.

Non so named *natural beekeeping*:

I finnished yesterday pulling the last supers off my non varroa tolerant
bees. Low varroa loads but will need a soft treatment.
The extra honey production over the Russians would easily justify the labor
and expense of a soft legal treatment.

The varroa tolerant bees will again not need treatment and will remain
supered for fall flows.

We have got three approved methods of control in the U.S.. The formic
pads,ApiLife var & sucrocide yet the lists are full of methods that are not
safe for the beekeeper and have drawbacks.

beekeepers seem to never learn from past mistakes.

Bob