From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 17:26:20 -0400
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

A good read on natural selection and evolution. We are not evolving a
new bee on small cell. We are not even naturally selecting.  Nature
naturally selects. We are breeders. Think Bob and his bonsai trees. You
can make just about anything small by confinement.

We are starting with a bee that has been around for millions of years,
long before man. It has not changed much nor has it evolved into
something new. Bees are bees and there are races of bees just as there
are races of mankind. But the basic person or bee has the same genetic
makeup with variations in how the genes are expressed. When you select
for a trait you are selecting from something that already exists, so you
are not creating something new. Can a tropical bee survive in cold?
Remember that we have gone through many ice ages over the million year
span of the bee, so it was not always tropical. It has demonstrated that
it can survive in a variety of climates. The genes are there.

As far as stinging, that is only degree and has nothing to do with a new
or different bee. I have had Italians that would give AHB a run for
their money. The beekeepers in Mexico and the Southwest US are breeding
AHB for gentleness, just the opposite of its supposed survival trait.

It is the same basic bee.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine