From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:50:57 -0600
Hello Dee & All,

> In fact only got 3 swarms in field last year near bee yards.

Swarming is a big issue with us as we keep strong hives and try to get peak
population right before a honey flow or hives go into pollination. Swarming
is what bees do if given a chance. 3 out of 900 seems low on any scale.

I think the first thing a hobby beekeeper sees when he/she visits a
commercial beekeeper for the first time is the strength of his hives. We
farm bees! Fill a box with bees and the bees will fill the box with honey!
Swarming is the result when things go wrong trying to raise bees at peak
levels and the hive gets crowded and the queen runs out of room to lay.

Bob