From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:55:26 -0700
> With an average of 7 pesticides in a pollen sample, the
> potential for multiple pesticide interactions affecting bee
> health seems likely.

Ants are social insects that are more directly and continually exposed to
the full range of agro-chemicals that fruit and nut tree growers use
than are honeybees.  Yet despite this year round lethal and sublethal
chemical exposure, ants are abundant enough in orchards to be
significant pests.

Example:
http://westernfarmpress.com/mag/farming_bad_ant_year/

"We tell [almond] growers to look down when they are walking their
orchards," says Blue Diamond fieldman for San Joaquin and Stanislaus
counties Mel Machado. "Look down and be aware of ant populations
because once those nuts are on the ground, growers can lose a lot
of money very quickly to ants."

"Ant damage as low as 2 percent can cost growers $50 or more per
acre in lost yields and rejects, said Machado."

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.