From:
Ernest Huber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:33:51 -0500
Hello BEE-L
        On 1/22/98 Ralph Harrison asked the following question:
>Brother Adam retired in 1992. At that time Brother Leo Smith (Brother Leo had
>travelled with Brother Adam on some of his journeys in search of new strains
>of bees) took over as head beekeeper at the Abbey.
>
>Is Brother Leo still the head beekeeper?
>
>If he isn't who has taken his place?
        When my wife and I visited Buckfast Abbey last October there were
just three beekeepers- Brother Daniel who had been working the bees for
about 10 years, as I remember, and two who weren't brothers- Peter Donovan
and Roger Brain. Of the three Peter Donovan had been working bees for a long
time with Brother Adam (maybe 20 years)  and he does the artificial
insemination. He is trying to retire but still puts in a lot of hours. We
didn't meet Roger Brain but he was the newest beekeeper although he might be
the one "in charge". I didn't hear any mention of Brother Leo. Buckfast
Abbey has a web site/ It is:  >http://www.buckfast.org.uk/index.htm<
                                Ernie Huber