From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:19:01 -0600
Hello All,
The identification of AHb is based in three areas.
1. Fabis
2. morph
3.Dna
The first two are subject to operator error and are only as good as the
samples used.
I have actually used the computer  program to do the first two. The computer
will toss out any measurement out of tolerance but one quickly sees errors
can be made with one & two.

We are very fortunate as Chuck & Peter have posted to have such a large
section of DNA to compare with from prior to AHB arrival.

Saying AHB ID using  morph can be off is understood in most circles BUT NOT
in my opinion when using a good sample for comparison along with a good
sample of the test bees and an operator which knows what they are doing.

For those which do not have a clue what I am talking about let me explain
further.

The computer morph test used by the bee labs can not test a single bee. 10
samples are needed. Those ten samples must contain three body parts of which
one is the wing.
When all the measurements are entered into the computer the computer
produces a number which when compared to a chart gives the degree of AHB.

The test can also be done without the computer program with hand
measurements and a calculator and is done at times to check the computer
program. Talk about time consuming and slow!

The State of Florida is working on a new simple test which will not be as
good as the above but will involve grinding up a sample and adding a
chemical. Jerry Hayes spoke of the search for the new field test at the last
Florida State Beekeepers meeting.

To sum things up when a sample is sent to a bee lab the type of test used
depends on the need to know. A serious stinging incident would certainly
warrant DNA.

To those which know the terminology better than I the above may sound crude
but I have tried to explain in language the average beekeeper will
understand.

I have done and seen done all but DNA testing but will gladly ask those on
the list with greater knowledge to correct if any of the above they feel is
not correct.

The State of Florida declined to let me inside their DNA lab to take
pictures and do interviews. Not a problem as they certainly gave me access
to all the other areas for which I am grateful! Maybe at a future time.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison