From:
Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 04:53:10 -0400
Acetic acid or vinegar is added to a 50/50 sugar syrup 25cl to 75cl
in some parts of France by some beeks to prevent, not cure, nosema.

Bob said, <<in Europe I believe the acetic is used to kill European foulbrood spores?>>

I have never heard of it being used in France in cases of AFB or EFB which are both notifyable diseases. AFB results in the hive and bees being destroyed by fire, if EFB is not too advanced the bees can be transferred to a new hive with new frames and wax and the old hive and contents is burnt.

Practises are different in other European countries because there is no supranational legislation on beekeeping practice.
I wish our US colleagues would try to remember that the EU is not yet a federal structure but 27 nations with 27 sets of national legislation.
Regards,
Bil, France