From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 14:17:19 -0700
> > ... I think I'll bring them into a cool room in a big (huge?)
> > observation hive for next winter ....
>
> Has anyone got experience with big (huge) observation hives?  I am curious
> about this possibility.  Specifically, is it possible to have a self
> sustaining observation hive.  How could the bees form a winter cluster...

A very quick search of the archives from
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm brought me 109 hits using
'observation hive AND winter' as the 'search for' key.  The first two I selected
from reading the Subject lines answered this.  I am sure there is much more
there.  Observation hives have been a popular topic.

As for building such hives, there are links at
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/ at the bottom of 'What's New' that lead to
several sites with plans and discussions of observation hives, including top bar
observation hives.

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.