From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:20:41 -0400
I think we are back in the multiplier effect that we encountered when
CCD first started. You have a report (one, two or three with CCD
symptoms) and they are reported and re-reported again and again until
the couple of actual reports is amplified into the "80% of all East
Coast bees". So now it seems the Dakotas are collapsing along with
Florida but most of us know of no one who has a problem in either area.
At least back when it first started there were some known by name, but
now it is just "heard of ".

CCD is hype driven and I blame that on those in the Easter US scientific
community that wanted to publish at any price as well as justify their
expenditure of public funds, as well as some beekeepers who were only
looking for the same public funds to bail them out. The old adage of
"follow the money" unfortunately is linked hand in hand with CCD.

Have you noticed that one fact has never been published, which is the
real number of CCD colony deaths US wide and what percentage that is of
all colonies? There are plenty of hyperventilated numbers, but nothing
of substance. 2% may even be high.

In todays media world it is easy to put one person with a problem in
front of a camera and allow the assumption to exist that the problem is
universal and you are about to become a victim.

One of the points in the hype to watch the Nature program Sunday night
on PBS was that bees would be totally gone by 2035. I recorded it so
will see what they have to say. Not holding out hope for objectivity.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine