From:
joe bossom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 09:19:50 -0500
A pressure cooker is nothing less than a very small autoclave, the type in general use in surgeries around the world. For fine sterilization dry heat is sometimes used (delicate instruments) or in the past 40 years gas sterilization methods (I.e. ethelene chloride) have become practical..however pressure cookers as sterilizers are impractical unless you are doing small things like fine instruments and have no other recourse.

I have had great success, as a younger man, squirrelling the the junk dumpsters outside large hospitals...all sorts of stainless steel devices inluding sterilizers large enough for an entire box and frames may be found there.  Good hunting. The best thing to do is the chat up a surgery nurse and find out where and when they are re decorating surgical areas, get a truck and several stronk people to move the autoclave..they are heave.

Remember the pressure must be high and the heat hot enough to finish off spores to be of any use in this context. It is far easier to burn out AFB and other spores