From:
Kevin Yager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:56:07 -0400
I think the point of choosing from the best is to avoid the really bad
genetics, and avoid colonies that may be missing important characteristics.

It's not too hard to understand the value of genetic diversity.  So, yes,
breeding from the best and only the best queends/drones is probably not such
a good idea.

And I understand a colony is like a city, we need differences in order to
cover all of the needs of a colony, and possible disease that may occur.
When I say choose the "best" I don't mean the best drones, I mean choose to
rear queens from the best colonies, but let them open mate in order
introduce diversity.

Seems like in most cases, strictly limiting genetics in the "bad"  ways that
are being alluded to in other posts would be very hard for most beekeepers
to do.  So really if we select a well performing colony as our for our queen
rearing  stock, we are selecting a mix of various genetics that seemed to do
well together.  We are not choosing a "narrow" range of genetics because
that colony has a broad range of genetics already.

I'll suggest that regardless of how wide or narrow the diversity is in
commercially produced queens, the queen market, and the  commercial breeders
could very well be biasing the genetics away from healthy honey producing
colonies.  Here is why.

If a breeder makes his money by selling queens, colonies that make it easy
for him to rear and sell queens will get an advantage in his operation.
Maybe not on purpose.  But there will be a bias in favor of those colonies
no matter what.  And those traits may not be the same traits that would be
best for honey producers, or healthy low maintenance colonies.

And queen breeders may not have good mechanisms for removing poor performing
genetics from their product..  If the health and productivity of my colonies
is reduced by 30% next year how will I know if it was due to the queens I
bought, or some other factors?  And even if I proved that I had bought
queens that mothered poor producing colonies, and even if I feed this news
back to the queen breeder, how likely is it that he will in some way be able
to change his bloodlines and no longer propagate queens mothering this bad
mix of genetics?

If I'm raising my own queens, and I have a bad year, I'll probably get some
die-outs.  And those die-outs will remove colonies that lacked the ability
to survive.

So, with all of that said, I think breeding from the best "colonies" in a
honey producer's bee yard is probably exactly what a honey producer should
do.  And since most of us non II breeders will not be controlling drones
very closely we will continue to get diversity.

This is how it seems to me.

Kevin